Saturday, November 17, 2012

Project Self-Esteem

After just walking into a war of insults my three pre-teen sons were slinging at each other during a game of Lego Rock Band and sending the older two to their room after the youngest boy ran away in tears, I have come up with Project Self-Esteem. It seems we all could do with a little boosting in this house, not only myself.

I could sit here and analyze why my second child whom is a bright, witty, encyclopedia of knowledge feels inadequate next to his older, just as bright, "cool", outgoing brother. Or why that oldest brother feels the need to bully his siblings in jest, which he thinks everyone including the one being bullied should see as equally as funny as he does. Or why my youngest boy, the life of the party, the kid that every other kid his age runs to in stores even in neighboring towns yelling his name as if he's their long lost best friend, should feel he isn't capable of being as smart or as talented as his older brothers. But I won't, even though I'm famous for over analyzing and diagnosing everything. I just know I need to fix it.

This is where Project Self-Esteem comes in.

This week, being Thanksgiving week, a week we should be grateful and thankful and a week where my children will be together every minute of every day, they will have plenty of time to help build each other up instead of tearing each other down. Beginning at waking hour and each hour after until bedtime, everyday this week, we will all give each other a compliment. Not just, "I like your hair", or something mundane, but something about them as people. I know that they will find this silly and make fun of it as they are doing it, but I also know that what is being told to them about themselves may hit a chord and plant a seed of confidence that may have not been there before and will also, hopefully, show them the importance of treating each other nicely and with the respect and admiration that they themselves want to be treated.

I will update you all on how the project is going and has gone this week. Wish us luck! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment