Friday, March 28, 2014

Plans for the Suburban Homestead Garden

As Spring approaches, I am gathering all of my ideas, homesteading books,gardening plans online and pictures on Pinterest to get an idea of how I want to set up our gardens this year. Since this will be the first summer I will be a stay at home wife and mom in a very long time, I have BIG hopes for a canning garden.  One book has been a great help. The Backyard Homestead by Carleen Madigan http://www.amazon.com/dp/1603421386/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=12985126307&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6904400051510319935&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_jfi9drfs7_b

This book shows lots of great ideas for 1/10 an acre, 1/4 acre, 1/2 acre and a full acre. We have almost 3/4 of an acre in our little suburban neighborhood and I wouldn't want to take all of my childrens play area, so I am sticking with the 1/10 acre plan with a few adjustments to fit our needs.

Here is a drawing of what I want to work on starting next month. WARNING: it may be hard to read and is not drawn to scale by any means.
I also found a great site with garden plans that I am going to use for the 4 by 8 beds. http://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Gardeners-Site/default/Page-KGPPreplanned
I know a couple of the beds will have some of the same vegetables, but I figure that will allow me to add many different varieties and have lots of canning opportunities as well as fresh vegetable eating this summer.

The flowerbed in front of our house is mostly shaded throughout the day, so using one of my favorite sites motherearthliving.com, I was able to find 7 herbs that grow wonderfully in shade. http://www.motherearthliving.com/gardening/7-herbs-that-grow-in-shade.aspx

And with the help of pinterest, I found the design I want to use for the front herb garden.

I am so excited to get started!!! Spring can't come fast enough at the Stapler Suburban Homestead!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment